Have you ever noticed how much better YOU feel when you do something good for someone else? I am human so I sometimes feel bad about myself. But, when I get involved in helping someone with something they need, I instantly feel better, too. It’s a win-win. They get something they need and I feel needed. Don’t think that what you do has to be something extravagant. Sure, give blood if you can. That’s awesome and so generous, but sometimes a smile and kind word is just what the lady next to you in line needs. No kindness is too small.
This quote from Mother Teresa reminds me of the following Bible verse:
And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.— Hebrews 13:16, NIV
Benefits of Helping others:
- Lessening stress for you. When you are doing something for someone else your mind is not focusing on your own problems.
- Cultivating friendships by reaching out to others.
- Being a positive mentor. Lead by example and motivate others to get involved where there is a need.
- Helping others reduce their stress.
- Experience lower blood pressure, less pain, & longer life.
- Experiencing feelings of inner peace.